Saturday, August 11, 2012

Week 1 Down

School week #1 is finished.

H seemed to do well. He has had some difficulties and we are working on supporting and encouraging him. I am fairly certain he loves the social aspect. I also know that is part of his struggle in class. The language barrier has made things a little difficult, but he hasn't expressed the frustration I thought he would. Some people who have experience with this program (dual immersion) say that it takes about 3-4 weeks to adjust and have the language part start to really click. I'm hoping and praying this is true for H.

We are adjusting to our new schedule. It hasn't been smooth. I'm using an alarm to get up for the first time in two years (admittedly I'm usually awake when it goes off, but now I have to get out of bed). The boys are used to some time between waking and eating and that doesn't happen on school days. Lunch is earlier than normal (which isn't too big a deal if we don't do snack or do a very small snack). Picking H up from school means that the twins nap earlier too (something I haven't quite figured out since they tend to fall asleep in the car on the way there...only an issue when I'm the only one picking him up). This isn't a bad thing, except they aren't making the transition to bed like they usually do and so they are getting shorter nap times and I'm not getting any nap time. All this lack of napping and being at school does make falling asleep at an earlier bed time easier though.

Ahh, the joys of new schedules and experiences. Here's to life progressing and children growing up. I do miss that little boy I could stare at for hours, the calm of just him and me, but I'm glad to see how he's changed and grown. I'm excited to see what this new adventure teaches all of us and how we can use it to continue to mold him into the person he will become.

No comments:

Post a Comment