Friday, May 25, 2012

Pinterest and Presents

My sweet first born turns 5 in August. Time has flown, and he certainly doesn't much resemble the scrawny, tiny baby we brought home. He also isn't quite as easy going as he was...his little brain is quite opinionated and very imaginative. That is why I'm already thinking about his present.

Originally I had wanted to get him a Trains-formers shirt. If you've never seen it you can find it on YouTube, but the original creator has taken his links down so I won't add a link. H loved the videos and he talks about Op-Thomas Prime like everyone should know him. Unfortunately, Op-Thomas Prime is not a toy we can buy in stores and shirts are no long available. 

Then, a few days ago, I was reminded of the cute superhero peg people on Pinterest (1, 2, 3, 4). They are really cute and I  thought they would be perfect for H. I also saw this cute little homemade travel doll house, and I thought it would be a perfect combination. I wanted to put a cityscape on the inside of the house and then we have a great gift that's portable. He can save the world from anywhere.

Well, Wednesday night we went and got the pegs and paint from Michaels. I also picked up the plastic canvas for the house, but that's another project not yet in the works. When the boys went to bed I got started drawing out the details of each person on the peg. That was all I planned on getting done. I was so excited that, after penciling the details in I decided to do a little painting. That painting turned into a lot of painting, and soon it was 12am and definitely time to call it quits for the night.

What was going to be a group of superheroes turned into Superman (the hero we're most familiar with), Buzz Lightyear, a ninja, and a pirate; a little smattering of all the things he likes at the moment. 
Last night, after the boys went to bed, I pulled them out add the final details and finish Buzz (he ended up having the most details and I needed to mix colors for him). I finished last night at 9pm. I love them. All that's left is for Husband to spray them with a clear coat of spray paint and then the waiting. That will definitely be my hardest part in this whole affair. They're so cute I want to give them to him now and see his face light up and watch him play. Patience is key...plus, now I have to get started on some for the twins. You know they'll need their own as well.

Finished fronts
Finished backs and details

1 comment: