Monday, May 21, 2012

Pinterest recipes

Well, I managed to actually make a few of the recipes I found on Pinterest a while back.

First, I made Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas. I followed the recipe and Husband liked them, so that's good. I found them too sweet. I thought the lime juice would cut the flavor of the honey more. The boys, well one never knows with them lately and they didn't seem interested. Not a big deal. Glad Husband liked them and maybe I'll try again later with more lime or less honey.

I also made some homemade blue-cheese dressing. I mostly followed the recipe. I decided to use non-fat milk instead of the mayo and used fresh minced garlic (I accidentally used a bit too much) instead of garlic powder. It was good though. I'd definitely use this again.

A few days ago I saw a recipe for Watermelon Strawberry Lemonade and it looked so tempting and sounded so delicious I knew I had to use one of our watermelons for it. I altered the recipe a little bit because I wanted to make two batches - blackberry and strawberry. I used about 5-6 cups of watermelon and about 1/2 cup of blackberries or strawberries. I then cut the rest of the ingredients in half - 1 cup water, 1/4 fresh lemon juice, and 1/2 cup sugar. It was SO good. I preferred the blackberry version, it was a little more tart, but the boys all liked both versions. The strawberry was a little on the sweet side for me, but it was a nice treat. Husband missed getting to try the blackberry, but he liked the strawberry and I will certainly be making this again.

This morning I decided to make pancakes for the boys. I used bisquick (our usual mix) with some sugar and vanilla added and started on my way. After about 3-4 pancakes I remembered a recipe I pinned for some Cinnamon Roll Pancakes. I whipped up some of the filling and then made a few of the pancakes this way. The boys seemed to like them. I enjoyed the one I ate and Husband liked the surprise of coming home to special pancakes. It's a yummy treat I think I'll make again, though not every time we make pancakes because it is a little more effort than I usually put forth with three hungry little boys whining for breakfast.

Last, but not least, was Triple Chocolate Chunk Muffins. They were not what I was hoping for, which is a healthy alternative to satisfy my ever increasing pregnancy craving for sweets and chocolate. They weren't bad, but the batter was extremely thin and the chocolate chips didn't really flow with the batter into the muffin tins. I was using mini muffin tins and mini bread loaf pans because I only have one pathetic 6-cup muffin tin and it needs to be replaced desperately. If I made them again I think I'd grind the oats first before adding the rest of the ingredients. I'd also probably omit the water or add it in slowly to find the consistency I was looking for. I did find mini muffins worked well because there was less bitter chocolate taste.

Writing it out makes me feel even more productive about getting things done. Now if I would just pull out my sewing machine and get going on all those pins I'd be in good shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment