I am no Martha Stewart or Susie Homemaker. It would be nice, especially if I got paid to do it, but I'm not. I can cook. I'm better at baking. I know how to follow a recipe. I can clean...sometimes I do clean. Anyway, back on topic, earlier this week I felt like I could be a Martha Stewart or Susie Homemaker.
1. I made a dish that is ridiculously easy, but it called for ingredients I don't generally have on hand, so I made my own. I felt awesome. The dish is Italian Cream Cheese Chicken (thank you, Pinterest). Four ingredients and a crock pot, how can one go wrong. I'm a little strange (and addicted) so I usually have cream cheese on hand. Cream of chicken soup and Italian dressing seasoning, not so much (again, I'm strange). So, I made my own cream of chicken soup and my own Italian dressing seasoning. It was awesome. Here are my tips if you do this:
- cream of chicken soup is easy to make and it smells delicious, why buy it
- in the seasoning mix, use garlic powder (I did) and don't use the 2 tbsp of salt (I used 1 tbsp and it was too much)
2. I made freezer meals. What, I was thinking ahead, bought lots of chicken and chicken sausage, and actually did what I was thinking of. It's true and I'm super excited. I made 6 meals (huge, we'll have leftovers I'm sure) and some spaghetti sauce (two quart bags worth). I still have one more meal to make, but there is currently no room in my freezer. It doesn't require meat, so I plan on doing it a little later. Here are the links to the recipes I used along with how I altered them in any way. I can't tell you if they taste good yet, but soon...very soon!
Loving My Nest
- Bean Stew - haven't made but plan on doing soon
- Sausage and Bean Supper - the sausages aren't pre-cooked, just in their casings. When it's done cooking I'll cut the sausage up (I meant to take it out of the casing so it would cook and the crumble when stirred but I got in a hurry).
- Spaghetti Sauce - I dumped everything in the crock pot (sausage not cooked, would probably brown it first next time) and used pureed tomatoes (about 10), diced tomatoes (about 5), and spices to make my own spaghetti sauce instead of using store bought. The idea for which spices came from here. I also added in some oregano.
- Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches - pineapple was on sale so I cut up one whole fresh pineapple and I didn't add the chicken broth, I'll do that when I throw it in the crock pot
Stacy Makes Cents
- Chicken Fajitas - I've made this before and it's yummy. Again, I didn't add the stock, I'll add 1-2 cans (I use more than she calls for) when I put it in the crock pot.
Crepes of Wrath
- Shredded Chicken Chili - I didn't change anything. I did just as it says. :)
Ring Around the Rosies - She has some awesome tips as well.
- Sausage and Peppers - I halved the recipe.
- Sausage, Potatoes, and Green Beans - I left the sausage uncooked and in it's casing. I'll just cut them up when everything is done cooking.
We Pass the Time of Day to Forget How Time Passes
- Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup - I haven't done this one yet, but I think it would be good to do. I'd only put what is mentioned in Step 1 of the directions into the bag.