1 c. flour
3/4 c. oats
1/3 c. wheat bran (can use flour if you don't have this)
1/3 c. + 2 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 beaten egg
3/4 c. milk
1/4 c. mashed kidney beans (I put some no-sodium canned kidney beans in the food processor and let it go until they were a goo. This is in place of the oil).
About 1 c. pomegranate seeds (I used a 5.3 oz container from Fresh and Easy)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease/line muffin tin.
2. In medium bowl combine flour, oats, wheat bran, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
3. In another bowl combine egg, milk, and mashed kidney beans. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients all at once (make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and dump the egg mixture in). Stir just until moistened.
4. Fold in pomegranate seeds.
5. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each two-thirds full. Bake for 15-18 minutes (mini muffins take between 10 and 15 min.) or until golden brown a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 min. Remove from muffin cups and serve warm.
*I would probably add 1 tsp. vanilla to this. I didn't because it wasn't called for, but I know it would make it that much more awesome. They have great flavor and are very mild. If you add just a smidge of whip cream (I gave the boys about a tsp. to dip their muffins in) it adds just the right amount of sweet.